Pages

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Guest Post by Crystal Smith of Paint Smudges

Thanks to Crystal for this guest post! Thanks for joining me here at Heartless Arts today.




After years of wanting one, I've finally got one! A Chinese chop! (Also known as a seal – and not the kind with flippers.) These seals or “stamps” are signatures used to sign documents and artwork.





 Generally they are made from stone (like mine) but the more fancy ones are ivory or metal. Although I love my chop, I have the feeling it won't be my last one. A collection is in the works!!




Chinese chops have been around for thousands of years, starting with the Shang Dynasty. Although I am not Chinese, I still think they are super beautiful and am going to use mine to sign some of my artwork and who knows what else!

I got this one in the Granville Island Public Market in Vancouver BC, where I live. The old gentleman who carved it was super nice, and had a good sense of humor. It took him about 30 minutes to carve it.




 Since I'm not Chinese I've decided to use a non-traditional color of ink. Right now I'm trying green, and we'll see how it goes from there.


No comments: